Discovery Canyon is a must-do during the summer months. Close to Edmonton, in Red Deer and only 90 minutes away, it’s one of those places where you’re going to be able to spend the day, on the cheap. Pack a picnic, get in the car and head out for adventure.
Discovery Canyon was closed during the 2016 season for significant upgrades, including:
- Replacing the stream bed
- Improving access to lower portion of the stream
- Enhancing safety measires
- Improving accessibility
- Upgrading the main entry walkway
- Enhancing the beach and playground areas
During the summer season, Discovery Canyon operates from Monday to Sunday from 9 am until 9 p.m. (weather dependent) Admission is free and visitors can rent tubes for $5 plus a $15 refundable deposit. The deposit will be returned when the tube is returned. Cash only.
We’ve been following along with the progress photos for Discovery Canyon and it looks amazing. With a newly structured area for the kids to tube down the water, and an extended beach area for the kids to wade, cool off during the summer months and explore, and more space for families to picnic and be close to the water, we’re incredibly excited to visit the space this year!
Are you planning your summer adventures and bucket list for 2017? You’re going to want to add Discovery Canyon to your list of places to explore with the kids in Alberta.
Latest posts by Lori (see all)
- 5 Incredible Fall Day Trips You’ve Got to Plan this Year - September 12, 2017
- Four Things to do Before You Take Your Kids on a Solo Road Trip - September 12, 2017
- Watch the Perseids Meteor Shower in Your Pajamas at the Botanic Gardens 8/11 - August 10, 2017